FS Airpark

The Virtual Aviation Community
It is currently Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:01 pm 

Cessna 172 for $95000 at KMIA N24616

also, I need a flight from KMIA to KBVS - please bid on the flight.. do I post this as a charter flight or how does this work?

thanks

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:18 pm 
Site Admin

Are you looking for a pilot to ferry your Islander? That's something you'd discuss here. I suppose you could write it up as a charter, but you'd have to "win" the charter, then assign a pilot who works for you to fly it in the islander. And you'd have to break it down into individual legs or you'd run into fuel problems.

I'll fly it for you if you want, but you'll still need to get yourself to KBVS. Or, we could both make the trip and alternate legs. You just have to give me permission to fly the plane (select my name from the drop-down list on the plane's info page, since I'm currently in Miami) and then we offer each other rides for each of the respective legs.

You'll just have to drop me off somewhere I can get back on the airline network.

I guess I could also give you a ride in a private jet to KBVS, then jet myself down to Miami and get the Islander, but you'll still have to give me a ride to Seattle. I could take your 172 as payment for any of these services...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:33 pm 
Site Admin

Sorry if the last post is a little confusing... I wrote it from my iPhone when I probably wasn't fully awake.

Thank you, first of all, for asking the question here. Hopefully other people will read this thread and figure out a little more about how the site works.

The situation: you're in Boston, and you have a plane in Miami. Both you and the airplane need to get to your new FBO in the Pacific Northwest. The fact that there isn't a simple, automatic way to do this immediately and all by yourself is not due to a lack of features on the site. It is deliberate. Since this is now a multi-player role playing game, stuff like this can get done more efficiently when other people get involved. And, because I've kept the site simple, there are several ways to get it done, the terms of which are completely negotiable between the parties involved.

There are several ways I can think of to do this:

1. Get to Miami and fly the plane to Washington yourself. You can either fly your 172 down to Miami and try to sell it there (boring and time consuming, unless you're into that), or you can take an "airline flight" by clicking into the airline terminal from your flight line page and buying a ticket on AAL1007 to Miami. It'll set you back AE 260, but you'll instantly be transported to Miami. Airline travel is only possible between airports where service is scheduled by an airline, operated by an FBO. In order to keep routes current, somebody actually has to fly every leg at least once every 90 days. So while it seems like you're doing it all by yourself, it's only possible because this morning I flew a Boeing 757 from Boston to Miami.

Another variation on this option is the one I mentioned in my last post- have someone help you with the cross-country flight. A unique feature of FS Airpark is the ability to offer your friends rides in any airplane you're authorized to fly. Once it's accepted, the ride becomes valid in that airplane until the final destination is reached, at which point the ride offer is fulfilled. You can charge your friends money for this, but unless you're doing so as an FBO, it would be considered an illegal charter. You can still do it, though, but if I catch you, there might be consequences. Just like the real world.

2. Hire someone (like me) to move you and your airplane to KBVS. This is two transactions, really. I manage an FBO in the Northeast that has some jets available for charter. Because I'm doing so as an FBO, I can (and will) expect you to pay for the flight. To do this, I offer you a ride in one of the jets. You accept the ride offer, pay me when I arrive to pick you up. (You can give money to any person or FBO at your current location ONLY. I figured I'd limit wire transfers to make it necessary for people to actually "travel" within the system to conduct business. Makes it more interesting, I think.)

Once you're dropped off, I'd take my jet back to its base and then airline myself to Miami to ferry your Islander to Washington. I could drop it off at KBVS, but since there's no airline service there, you'd have to give me a ride to somewhere on the network. I'd probably add a flight from SLC to Seattle and back to pick that up. All of that travel and the empty return leg on the jet would, of course, be factored into the price we negotiate for your charter and my fees for the ferry pilot service.

I'm sure there are other ways we could come up with to do this within the FS Airpark system, too.

But here's what I think will be the fastest and most enjoyable: Take the airline flight to Miami. Add me as an authorized pilot on your Islander. Offer me a ride from KMIA to KSEA, and I will likewise offer you a ride from KMIA to KSEA once I'm authorized on the plane. Then we take turns flying and carrying each other across the country. If it's your leg to fly, just make sure I'm added as a passenger (on the preflight page), and then no matter where you land, I'll be taken along with you and the plane, and waiting to be loaded on the next leg, until one of us logs "KSEA" as the end point of the flight. I think this will get it done fastest since we probably won't both be available to fly at the same time, and whichever one of us is available can fly a leg.

Once we get to Seattle, you'll be on your own for the final leg to KBVS, and I'll airline back to whatever else I was doing.

I think this will all make a little more sense once you get into flying some flights on the site. Sorry for the long-winded post, but I've tried to expound as broadly as I can on the topic for the benefit of others who may read, since all the inner workings of the site are admittedly kind of poorly explained and may not make sense at first. Thanks for bearing with me, and let me know what I can do to help.

Dave