FS Airpark

The Virtual Aviation Community
It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Helos?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:17 am 

I know Dave has a RW Helo background but are helos allowed in FSAirpark?

I'm no good at flying them btw :lol: I've the Schweizer 300CBi which is included in the JustFlight Flying Club collection but I've not even tried it. In fact I've not tried helo's at all in FSX tbh.

I understand it's a costly hobby compared to fixed wing so wondered...

Mark

Post subject: Re: Helos?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:04 am 
Site Admin

Helos are fine. There's even a "helicopter" column in the logbook.

Right now, there's no differentiation in the database, but I'm planning on adding a field so FS Airpark knows which aircraft are helicopters. It'll be necessary for the way I'm going to change the flight logging system to make it more user-friendly. If you select a multi-engine airplane, it'll fill in multi-engine hours equal to your total flight time. Ditto for helos. You won't have any say in the matter. It'll just log it automatically based on which aircraft you select. :wink:

If you need some tips on flying the things, let me know. Personally, I'd start with something a little more stable, like a Jet Ranger (that's what I learned in. Those little piston-engine two-seaters scare me!) Owen Wilson made an incredible model of one for FS2004, which I assume will work with FSX as well. It's available at HoverControl.com (which is a great resource for helicopters in Flight Sim anyway).

I find the yaw response in FS is about right with the torque slider turned about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way up in the realism settings. Otherwise the nose kicks around a little too fast when you bring in collective.