[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
FS Airpark • View topic - Trip to Turkey

FS Airpark

The Virtual Aviation Community
It is currently Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trip to Turkey
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:00 pm 

With a vauge plan in my head I pack for my trip to Turkey. My first decision is to pack light and cut down on the weight, I'll buy cheap replacement clothes on the way or wash what I have. It's only me in the cockpit so I've no one to impress after all!

The first problem, for this flight I need the most reliable, fuel efficent and stable craft I have...Thats the Twin Comanche which is in Carlise...while I'm in Kent with my C182RG. I decide to drive up to Carlise, I could fly but my home is on route and I can stop off and pick up charts and a few clothes on the way. I pack up what I need from the C182 and turn out of Kent airport for the 5 hour drive.

To be continued....

Last edited by MarkB on Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Trip to Turkey
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:39 pm 

By the time I get to Carlise after stopping at home dusk is drawing in, it's been a long drive and I'm tired. There is enough light to work by so I give the craft a look over and top off the tanks for tomorrow. I'll book into a local hotel and go over a few of the charts before getting an early night.

Tomorrow I'll fly down to Shorham on the south coast of England, that will be my starting point. It's not a long flight and it'll serve to give me a little more air time. This isn't an aircraft I've spent a lot of time in, the GPS unit and the fact it serves at the comms radio is still unfamiliar. It'll take the manual back to the hotel with me and read that too...I guess that early night isn't going to be too early after all!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:00 pm 
Site Admin

Gorgeous shots, Mark!

You've got me curious about the car and the scenery in that shot... is that some kind of FS add-on, or a driving game?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:30 am 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:51 pm 

Absolutely Mark! On the weekends I do my flying in a Massarati :) . Can't wait to hear more on your trip.
Speaking of turkey, I heard the first turkey was fried in greece :lol: !

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:17 am 

Right, marjor problems. I can't get to grips with the Comanche, namely the way the GPS controls the Comms and Nav avionics. Call me old fashioned but I like the old Ben/King tuners.

So, for sake of the trip and the story we'll assume I've driven all the way back to Manston and I'm now taking the C182RG, it's slower and I'd prefer a twin but at this late stage I'm not messing about. Dave, if it's ok I'll be 'trading in' the Comanche, if I'd known what it's like I would never have bought it from Eaglesoft or registered it here. I might be swapping to the Piper Seneca II from Just Flight.

OK, from Manston my first left will be as follows:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:46 am 
Site Admin

Sorry to hear about your troubles with the PA-30. It's a nice-looking plane, but I guess looks aren't everything...

I'm thinking of buying the Dreamfleet Baron in the next coupla weeks myself. The Seneca has a bigger cabin, but the Baron's faster. 8-)

If you're gonna take the Skylane, just fly low and enjoy the scenery. Your charted route looks like it goes from navaid to navaid, but are you planning to VFR-nav it?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:57 am 

I had the Dreamfleet Baron when I used FS9 (I've still got it). It's a great plane but I had lots of problems installing it. I love their A36 which I've got also. Unfortunatley neither work in FSX :(

I'm using the VOR's as I don't have charts of the area for a proper VFR flight, so it's a case of keeping low and follow the nav beacons and keep looking outside for major landmarks like rivers and cities.

Anyway, the first leg is flown, pretty uneventful. I took a few pictures on the way, a bit of lightning at one point was the only thing to say about it. Forgot to take phots' when I landed as I've got my kids today while their mother is at work so I was getting a little hassled!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:35 pm 
Site Admin

That's a pretty smart-looking 182! Carenado, I'm guessing? So far, the only payware add-on I have is the MAAM DC-3. I'm pretty stingy when it comes to that stuff, so I'm a little disappointed to hear that the Dreamfleet B58 doesn't work in FSX since I've also been considering that upgrade. But the default Baron seems to have some improvements that make it look ALMOST as good... I looked at it in the FSX demo the other day and liked it a lot better than the FS9 default bird. I've got a Sony VAIO laptop with 3GB ram, Vista, an NVidia video card and a dual-core processor that runs FS9 with the sliders all the way up. With good-quality freeware addons, I've got it looking pretty nice. The FSX demo runs quite well, too, but I'm just not sure if I can handle the full version well enough to take advantage of the cool features. But they've dropped the price on FSX down to $45 for the deluxe edition with acceleration, so I think I might find it under the Christmas tree if I'm good :wink:

Good luck with the trip! Keep posting!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:05 pm 

To give you a comparison those shots are 20fps running:

FSX with default scenery (in the shots you see)
Carenado 182
1 gig of RAM
512 nVidia 7950xfx vid card
2.1ghz AMD Dual Core CPU
Windows XP Pro

So you have a decent chance of running FSX on that laptop. The Carenado products are in a complete league of their own Dave. The big thing that impressed me with the Dreamfleet was the gauges and they are actually from RealityXP and most don't work in FSX (yet).

In order of preference for third party aircraft (that I've bought):

1 Carenado - 182RG(FSX) and 210 Centurian(FS9)
2 Aerosoft - Twin Otter (FSX)
3 Dreamfleet Baron and A36 (FS9)
4 FSD International 337 Skymaster (FS9)
5 Eaglesoft PA-30 (FSX) and CitationX (FS9)

I was the same to begin with, I didn't want to buy aircraft when there is so much freeware out there. Well, once you see the quality and documentation you get with a good one any freeware seems Micky Mouse. Carenado have great docs as does FSD International. I'm not planning on buying anymore aircraft for a while but when I do it will probably another Carenado, either the or (when it's released)

If you're strapped for cash then the Just Flight "Flying Club X" is an excellent addon. For £10 ($17?) you get:
PA28-161 Warrior
PA38-112 Tomahawk
Cessna 152
PA34-200T Seneca II
Schweizer S300CBi
And all in both FS9 and FSX versions. Not as pretty as Carenado but great models and dynamics. I think the C152 is free now off FSInsider for download for FSX.