FS Airpark

The Virtual Aviation Community
It is currently Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Leg 2
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:01 am 

The second leg see us leaving La Sauveniere and headinf SE to Ramstien Airforce Base. It's a short trip of only 90.5 nm and should be under an hour to fly.

Post subject: Re: Trip to Turkey
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:53 am 
Site Admin

Looks like you'll be headed down the Rhein River. I've made that trip on a train a couple of times and it's really beautiful country. Hope FS can do it justice :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:19 am 

0.8 hours total, a nice little flight. Low cloud part way forced me to swap over to GPS, cut through it at about 2,500ft when landing but due to the landscape I couldn't have flown at that alt.
Leaving EBSP behind

The low cloud comes in

...and thicker. Hand me that GPS from behind your seat will you?

The peaks of the hills poking through the lower cloud

low power decent, airport in view, planning to joining on the down wind leg.

Down wind

Base

On final (a little too fast though)

...and down

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:22 pm 
Site Admin

If I didn't know better, I'd say you were trying to sell me a Carenado 182RG. Looks like the perfect plane for the trip!

VFR-on-top is an interesting condition, and really only works if you're prepared to shoot an instrument approach or you know you'll have some good "sucker holes" to come down through at your destination. Looks like it cleared up just fine for you, though. I spent a winter in Germany. It felt like the clouds would stay for a week or so, then clear out just long enough for some new ones to take their places. Fun place, though!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:23 pm 

To be honest I think it could be my perfect aircraft. I had the FS9 Centurian from Carenado which was similar, I did like it but it didn't have a 'both' selection on the fuel tanks and I'd always be coming in to land port heavy as I'd forgot to swap over mid way! The 182 have the both and it just easy to trim off and to manually set the mixture (it has an EGT gauge ;) )

I was getting worried about the cloud as I got closer but FS had one of those 'and the weather is suddenly clear' moments, but on the shot on final you can see the cloud in the distance and above. I had the wether on auto update every 15 minutes so it might have been that.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:28 am 

I'm heading towards Innsbruck, it won't be the next leg but the one after.

With it being a rather interesting in terms of approach and scenery I was wondering if anyone wanted to join in? I don't know if it's possible in terms of time zones and connectivity.

Cheers

Mark

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:18 pm 
Site Admin

That Innsbruck approach is pretty famous...

Time zones are funny. And it's a holiday (Thanksgiving) here in the states. It does seem, though, like it might be fun to have some online events for FS Airpark. I'm not much of an online flyer myself, though. It seems like I can't dedicate a period of time completely to simming enough to commit to an online event. I kind of have to take my time when I can get it, and I have frequent interruptions. Wouldn't it be nice if we all just had a couple hours a week where we could make everyone leave us alone? :wink:

Or, perhaps we should just be grateful to have so many things that are obviously more meaningful in our lives. I'm sure I'd have more time to devote to flight sim if I didn't have a wife, a job, and other commitments. But, well, then I wouldn't have a wife, a job, or other things to do.

But, if I'm ever home alone for a weekend, I might just re-activate my VATSIM membership and we can give it a go. :wink:

Have fun in Innsbruck. I spent a weekend there once. Beautiful place!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:34 am 

I know what you mean about getting time. I'm out the door at 7am and on a normal day back in at 6pm. If I'm not in the office then getting back is a flip of a coin! I spent 8 hours just driving on Wednesday for a meeting lasting only 1hr 30mins :( And other times I could be away for a whole week.

I tend to limit my PC time so when I do want 'me time' it's pretty much a case of 'Look folks, I don't do much for myself and now I'm asking for an hour to myself' and my family respect that.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:02 pm 

ETAR to EDTZ for the next leg. EDTZ is a dirt/grass strip so should prove a bit harder to spot.

Top up the tanks before I leave, no fuel at the next field

I hope my planned on route alt is above those mountains. One big problem with not having charts!

GPS on, cloud in again. I can just make out one of of my visual ref points below

The keen eye'd will notice I chose the wrong livery :oops:

That field is my BOD point, power back

I wasn't betting on those hills! I'll have to adjust my decent

On final, just make the strip out

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:39 pm 
Site Admin

Would've been good of them to put those two trees on the OTHER side of the road, instead of right in front of the runway! :P